Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Hawaiian florals: from vintage trends to modern catwalks & street fashion

left: Stella McCartney Resort 2012 ensemble via Vogue, right: blouse by H&M

Alright, you knew florals were going to be big this Spring, but did you know how big? Designers have certainly not shied away from reintroducing prints in the fashion spotlight, and in doing so they have placed an emphasis on flower power, reaching out to all that Mother Nature has to offer. Flower love is everywhere, ranging from poppy to rose and daisy, and even Hawaiian. 

At first glance, Stella's interpretation of the flower craze may be setting the tone for a Summer hothouse in the tropics. However, for the fashion savvy historian (or simply the fashion crazy like me), her experimentation with the motif definitely commemorates the tropical look's legacy. Hadn't you heard? Post-war 1940s Hawaiian print shirts became a hot commodity for women after being worn by soldiers returning home from war. These remained popular in the 50s and 60s thanks to designers like Alfred Shaheen. And for S/S 12, Hawaiian florals return stylish as ever via fashion masterminds such as Stella-- and did I mention they've hit the streets too with H&M on the bandwagon? Now then, I will let you ponder on these thoughts and let you share a comment (or two) with your own point of view!

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful trend, I like it!!! This is such a nice post!

    Take a look and if you want we can follow each others: Cosa mi metto???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your sweet comment!! Of course I follow you back!
    If you want we can follow also with bloglovin, google+, twitter and facebook?

    Come back soon to visit my blog, I'll be waiting for you!!
    Cosa mi metto???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I just found your blog!! :)
    Maybe you'll have time to visit my blog and follow if you like!!
    Kisses,
    Chiara

    Books in my bags

    ReplyDelete